ooooooooooo

Newb (to Roxor) in SC

elkaholic

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I had not done a formal intro post … so here goes.

New to the Roxor side of things, not so much to off-road “work” / fun or to the owner of the forum. I cut my teeth in off-highway driving in a late 60s VW Bus before I was legal age to drive. Have owned all manner of 4x4 over the past 40+ years - a few Jeeps (CJ3B, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, TJ, LJ, JKU, JT, ZJ), an odd early Bronco or two, a big block Ramcharger, several Land Cruisers including non-US diesels and more than my share of Honda and Polaris SxS.

The ones I wish I had never sold: 85 CJ8, ‘05 LJ Rubicon, 86 Toyota BJ74, 92 Toyota HZJ-T77. Which brings me to the Roxor. Too many folks throw large amounts of $$$ at high tech, highly built rigs but don’t know how to drive them much less to the capability of the rig. This has pushed most relatively modern rigs to stratospheric prices. Combine that with the lack off simplicity that allows for ease of maintenance and trailside / bush fix leads me to not like any of the mainstream options. And I miss the visceral feeling of having to be one with the vehicle like I had in my 600,000 km BJ73 - for those that are not familiar, that is a non-USA Land Cruiser with a naturally aspirated 3.4L 4 cyl indirect injected diesel that pushed a whopping 86 hp when new in a 3750 pound rig. Everyone needs to drive one of those on the interstates around Atlanta once in their life.

Enter the Roxor …. Small, simple (like old CJs and FJs) and relatively low power with all the old school 4x4 stuff: Dana 44s, leaf springs, essentially a Dana 18 transfer case with a somewhat modern small diesel and 5 speed.

So two weeks ago I picked up a 24 all weather from Mahindra of Anderson (got a deal through a neighbor) and the fun shall begin. Having just had back surgery, better seats are high on the upgrade list after some basics: locking hubs, some tires with some tread on them, a winch (already sitting in the garage), tow points, and sway bar disconnects.

I have a side hustle selling two ways radios and GPS equipment for OHV use so I’ll naturally add a few things to showcase some of the stuff I sell.

In recognition of pictures or it didn’t happen …. BTW, a friend asked what color I was going to get. I told him “I really like the green, but my wife likes the black so I am getting a black one … and after owning a black pickup, I swore I’d never own another black vehicle …”
IMG_3611.jpeg
IMG_3655.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg

lost1wing

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice! I get up to SC every few weeks. Any good trails to ride in SC?

elkaholic

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice! I get up to SC every few weeks. Any good trails to ride in SC?
I live 20 minutes from Carolina Adventure World but dont ride there much. I tend to make the 5 hour haul to East TN to ride Windrock / Sundquist / Tackett. I need to check out Gulches though.

I really miss Tellico.

MTCowboy

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome elkaholic, glad to have you. Keep us posted on mods and interesting trails. I learn so much from this forum.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome indeed. This forum is great place for advice and expertise. Gluches is fun. The trails in TN are great also. Ever try Beasly Knob or Iron Mtn in GA.? Fun trails with beautiful views! They are up in the NE corner of the state.

elkaholic

Supporting Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome indeed. This forum is great place for advice and expertise. Gluches is fun. The trails in TN are great also. Ever try Beasly Knob or Iron Mtn in GA.? Fun trails with beautiful views! They are up in the NE corner of the state.
Yes …. I have ridden Beasley knob quite often.in the 90s. Not a lot of places in the Southeast I have not ridden. Quite a few of them are now closed / no longer exist: Piedmont, AL (the old trails there), Monteagle and Cowan TN, Gray Rock and some trails in Gardendale, AL, Walls of Jericho near the AL/TN line, Iron Gap (also near the AL/TN line), O&W Railbed when you could ride it all the way through Big South Fork, LBL, Hot Springs, Ouachita Mountains, Poteat, OK … and many more I have forgotten …. In the NE GA area, Warwoman WMA is/was nice as well. I left a lot of sweat and some blood in Tellico on SFWDA workdays there ….